10 SIMPLE WAYS TO DRINK MORE WATER
Drinking water is like washing your insides. The water will cleanse the system, fill you up, decrease your caloric load and improve the function of all your tissues.
Our body is about 70% water and drinking enough of it is essential for optimal functioning of a healthy body.
Water has multiple roles in working of our body, such as maintaining electrolyte balance and controlling blood pressure, smoothening of joints, regulating body temperature, and promoting cell development.
So there is no doubt why water is important and why we should be drinking more water.
But one should also realise if the water intake does not equal your output, you can become dehydrated. Fluid losses are higher during in warmer months, when we do strenuous exercise, or in high altitudes, and also in older adults, whose sense of thirst may not be as sharp.
Here are 10 Simple Ways To Drink More Water:
- Set a Daily Water Consumption Goal: The act of setting a daily water consumption goal can be motivating and can help you drink more water.
- Replace Other Beverages With Water: By replacing other drinks with water – this will help boost your health and reduce your calorie intake as some drinks often have added sugars, which can be extremely detrimental to your health. Diets high in added sugars are often linked to obesity and other conditions like type 2 diabetes and heart disease.
- Drink One Glass of Water Before Each Meal: Get into the habit of having a glass of water before each meal. Your body often mistake feelings of thirst for hunger, by drinking a glass of water before each meal can help discern whether you are feeling true hunger.
- Drink One Glass Of Water Per Hour At Work: Another simple way to increase your water intake is to drink one glass of water every hour at work. If you work a standard 8-hour workday – drinking a glass of water each hour adds up to 8 cups to your daily water intake.
- Sip throughout the day: Reaching for a sip of water consistently throughout the day is another way to increase your daily intake of water. This will also help keep your mouth from getting dry and will also keep your breath fresh.
- Eat More Foods High In Water: One way to drink more water – is to eat more foods that are high in water.
Here are a few fruits and vegetable that are high in water:
Watermelon – 91%
Cucumber – 96%
Grapefruit – 91%
Cabbage – 92%
Lettuce – 96%
Celery – 95%
Zucchini – 95%
- Drink One Glass Of Water When You Wake Up & Before Bed: A simple way to drink more water is to drink one glass when you wake up and another before going to bed. Drinking a glass of water when you wake up – may help boost your alertness. Plus, drinking water before going to bed can keep your mouth from getting dry.
- Get A Refill As Soon As It’s Empty: Another way to increase the amount of water you consume is to keep refilling your glass or bottle with water once empty.
- Set Reminders: Break up your daily water intake into smaller chunks and set alarms throughout the day. Example, if you are trying to drink 80 MLs of water in a day, you might want to break it up like this:
20 MLs – 11 AM
40 MLs – 2 PM
80 MLs – 6 PM
- Drink From A Straw: You’re more likely to swallow more water at a time by using a straw compared when you sip directly from a glass or bottle.
The Bottom Line
Adequate water intake is essential to good health. Stay Hydrated.